Our island home is a naturally green environment, so it makes sense that we try to honor that by supporting environmental conservation and sustainability.
For us, it’s not an afterthought. Here are some of our achievements and promises:
- We have a no-car policy on the island. All our transportation is done by foot, bike or electric golf carts.
- We put strict building regulations in place, including set-backs from the beach, long before the government passed legislation on the subject. Now that the government has passed legislation on this, our guidelines still surpass most requirements.
- We have a strict limit to the number of homes that can be built on the island. Most of our island home is designated green space and will always remain so.
- We have continuously resisted the pressure to enlarge The Meridian Club accommodation. In 2017 we knocked down one existing cottage in The Meridian Club and replaced it with two Luxury Beachfront Cottages that better support sustainable design methods.
- In 2018, along with launching our two new Luxury Beachfront Cottages, we also renovated two of our Beachfront Rooms into Premium Beachfront Rooms, using the same sustainable design methods.
- We separate our trash and recyclables, and we’ve been doing it far longer than it’s been fashionable!
- Almost all of our occupied buildings on the island have rain water catchment and storage systems and some use solar hot water heaters.
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs and lamps have been installed throughout The Meridian Club.
- We provide reusable bags for guests to use during their stay.
- No disposable bottles here.
- Remember those tiny plastic toiletries you see in many vacation properties? Well, we don’t have them. Instead, we have dispensers for shampoo, conditioner and body wash in order to remove the need for unnecessary plastic.
- As much as possible, we provide biodegradable toiletries that are sensitive to our environment and don’t result in unnecessary chemicals ending up in our oceans.
- We have our very own state-of-the-art septic treatment system for the island and gray water from the system is used for irrigation.
- All of our boats are equipped with four-stroke engines as these are fuel efficient and much cleaner to operate. We also encourage guests and owners to share journeys where possible.
- Our resort sunscreens are “Reef Friendly”
- Composting program for our farm to plate program