Pine Cay is a Green Island!
As a green resort, The Meridian Club, Turks & Caicos supported environmental conservation as a matter of conscience long before it became fashionable to do so.
We’ve used electric golf carts for island transportation for more than 35 years. We had strict building guidelines, including set-backs from the beach, long before the government passed legislation on the subject and our guidelines still surpass government requirements in most respects. We’ve strictly limited the number of homes on the island and steadfastly resisted pressure to enlarge our hotel. Most of the island is designated green space and will remain so. We’ve separated recyclables for years. Almost all occupied buildings on the island have rain water catchment and storage systems, including the hotel and some use solar hot water heaters.
Recently, we have taken advantage of new green technology and made some operational changes to further our role as stewards of the Turks and Caicos environment.
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs have been installed throughout the hotel and clubhouse and in staff facilities.
- Reusable shopping bags have been introduced for commissary use and we have “declared war” on small plastic bags and food containers (a reusable bag has been provided for your use during your stay.)
- Use of reusable water containers is encouraged and we have provided you with (2) water bottles that you are encouraged to refill. Water from your faucet is safe or, if you feel more comfortable, a larger dispenser can be used by the pool bar. Our goal is to eliminate use of those ubiquitous plastic water bottles in the near future.
- Dispensers for shampoo, conditioner and body wash remove the need for bottles and the biodegradable toiletries are sensitive to our environment. These items have been placed in the bathroom showers, along with counter top pump dispensers for hand soap and body lotion.
- A state of the art septic treatment system has been installed. Gray-water from this system is used for irrigation.
- Our boats are all equipped with four-stroke engines, which are fuel efficient and much cleaner to operate.
These are significant steps and an investment in our environment. We are proud of the efforts we’ve made to conserve and preserve the wonderful environment that we’ve been privileged to enjoy and remain strongly determined to continuing this commitment in the future.
We thank you for your cooperation in this effort and welcome suggestions.